Taco Soup is the soup that reminds you of Mexican food but not with all the calories; well, if you don’t add too many chips :).
Set For Life cookbook has this healthy recipe in it, along with other yummy meals we like too. The book is an excellent resource for everyday healthy eating without skipping out on the flavor.
This Taco Soup recipe is so simple; few ingredients, quick dump into the pot, and in 15 minutes you’ve got dinner. It’s a tasty meal and an easy crowd pleaser.
Serving Size: 8 – 1 cup servings
- 1/2 lb (we usually use 1 lb) extra lean ground beef (I get the regular 80/20 beef)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 28 oz can tomatoes, slightly blended (I use diced tomatoes)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, undrained (I like to add a can of black beans too)
- 1 17 oz can whole-kernel corn, undrained
- 2 – 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (to taste)
- 2 cups water
- Tortilla chips/ shredded cheese/ sour cream (toppings to preference)
- Brown ground beef with onion; drain.
- Put rest of ingredients in large pot with beef and onion.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Serve with chips, shredded cheese, sour cream or any other toppings you prefer. Enjoy!
Simple to Make
Three simple steps to make this Taco Soup:
- Cook the ground beef with onion.
- Open cans and dump everything into the pot.
- Cook the soup for 15 minutes.
So easy, anyone can make it! It’s the perfect training recipe for those who don’t know how to cook. You can’t go wrong; this soup turns out great every time.
Almost no taco is a “real” (authentic Mexican) taco here in America since taco introduction over 100 years ago. Taco Soup is a far extension, but still makes taste buds dance.
Taco seasoning, the Mexican spice blend we’ve claimed makes tacos tastes like tacos, is what makes the soup taste so flavorful. Without it, you’re left with a bland mixture of beans, corn, tomatoes, and meat.
To make this simple yet tasty Taco Soup even better, try these additions:
- Tortilla chips –
- Juanita’s Corn Tortilla Chips are by far my favorite! They are the closest to restaurant style tortilla chips I have found.
- Sour cream –
- My husband and his family swear by Daisy Sour Cream; it is pretty good.
- Grated cheese –
- Where any kind of cheese is good, I like reduced fat mozzarella cheese the best. It doesn’t add grease when it melts and it adds just the right mild flavor to the soup.
- Diced chilies –
- Canned diced chilies can be added, or canned diced tomatoes with chilies, to add an extra kick to the soup. It’s good!
Once you eat these additions with the Taco Soup, you won’t be able to go back. It’s delicious.
Only 6 ingredients needed to make this simple soup:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Canned tomatoes
- Canned beans
- Canned corn
These ingredients are pretty cheap. And with spending just a couple dollars, you can feed up to 8 people easy; well, depending on how much they’ll end up devouring. Quite an economical way to feed a crowd.
This soup is a favorite with our family, they’ll eat it all up and tell me I should have made more. Now that’s a good sign :).
The Wrap Up
Enjoy making a classic Taco Soup that’s boosted full of flavor with none other than taco seasoning.
Make the soup even better with adding chips, cheese, sour cream and chilies. And with only 6 cheap ingredients, you can please a crowd without breaking the bank.
Set For Life‘s Taco Soup is so easy to make, it’s the perfect recipe for anyone to try.