Chicken Cacciatore is my all-time favorite. I would beg my mom to make it for me when growing up.
The savory chicken and tomato sauce on top of rice is so yummy! It’s simple to put together in the crock-pot and cooks worry free for only 4 hours!
This meal is quick to prep and tastes amazing. It’s a big help for busy moms.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 – 2 1/2 to 3 lb broiler fryer chicken, cut up (or boneless chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp celery seed (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- Put onions into the bottom of crock-pot.
- Add chicken pieces and remaining ingredients.
- Stir sauce ingredients just a little bit and make sure the chicken is covered.
- Cover crock-pot with lid and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
This meal is super fast to make! You only chop 2 ingredients and dump everything in the crock-pot. We’re talking 5 – 10 minutes max.
The chicken can even be frozen. Make sure to give it an hour or two more to cook and you’re fine. I put in frozen chicken breasts all the time and it’s easily done within 5 – 6 hours.
Minimal Cooking Time
Crock-pot setting on high or low doesn’t matter with this meal, the quality stays the same.
This meal cooks so fast compared to other recipes I’ve seen for the crock-pot. Only 4 hours!
It’s nice to have a recipe that can be put together by noon and still be done in time for dinner. Especially when I’m having a busy morning with my 3 kiddos demanding for my time and attention :).
Moist and Flavorful Chicken
The chicken gets amazingly moist and packed with flavor with it simmering in tomatoes and spices in the crock-pot.
Spices in this recipe are spot on and perfect for spicing up the chicken and sauce.
This meal goes remarkably well over rice or noodles. I’ve only had it with rice, but I’m sure noodles would taste pretty good too.
We usually complete the meal with green beans and sometimes garlic bread. So yum!
The Wrap Up
Enjoy a scrumptious meal that’s quick to make and is hands-off carefree cooking.
Hope you end up loving it as much as we do :).